The Smoke Thief (Drakon, #1) - Shana Abé

Monday, September 14, 2009

The Smoke Thief (Drakon, #1)
324 pages
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

"Imagine a place so ripe and thick with the promise of magic that the very air breathes in plumes of pearl and gray and smoky blue; that the trees bow with the weight of their heavy branches, dipping low to the ground, dropping needles and leaves into beds of perfume" - Thus begin the first lines of The Smoke Thief, the story of the mysterious race of half-human half-dragon, and from there it only gets better.

This book is about Clarissa Rue Hawthorne, who as a half breed Drakon child is pretty much looked down upon in her Drakon Shire of Darkfrith. The only thing going for her is her loving mother and Christoff, the Drakon next in line to be Alpha, who she can only afford to look at from afar.

Then she decides to make something of her life.

Fast forward a couple of years and Clarissa (who goes by the name Rue) has made a name and a life for herself in London, far away from the other Drakon and living by her own rules. She's the famous smoke thief, only no one knows this other than a little street urchin, Zane, who she rescued one day.

The Drakon know it is one of them who is the thief. Christoff, all grown up and hotness personified (my words, not from the book) is now the Alpha. He's got a plan for catching the thief - The Langford Diamond - one no Drakon can resist. Only the plan goes kaput when Christoff (or Kit) sees a previously-presumed-dead Clarissa at the showing for the diamond and is smitten.
And then the diamond is stolen.
To make matter worse, Clarissa escapes from Kit.
By Turning to smoke.
The first female Drakon to do so in I forgot how long.
Now the Drakon need their diamond back, and they need Rue..as does Kit.

I loved this book. Shana Abe is being added to my favourite authors based on only this one book, which really should tell you all you need to know. You can picture the words that flow in this book - imagine the events as they happen. Get completely immersed in the mystery and wonder that are the Drakon. I loved the history and legend of the Drakon that the author weaves into this beautiful story.
This is a story where you want to read the next page simply because it is a joy to read, to know what these two characters will do next.

Clarissa Rue is a strong character - lacking in ego but confident in her own abilities and her own skin. A woman/Drakon who decided she wanted better than life had to offer her and went ahead and created that life for herself. The smart witty dialogue, and the effect she has on Kit and the other Drakon only adds to her appeal. And when she tells you the reason why she left her previous life, you'll only respect and admire her more.

Christoff / Kit, now Marquess of Langford, is an Alpha through and through. He's ruthless, knows his mind, also extremely confident in himself and uses his charm shamelessly. He's also a Drakon besotten (is that even a word?) with Rue from the moment he sees her in London - No, not love at first sight. Atleast he doesn't show it if it is. He'll do anything to get what he wants..and he does..but you can see as the story progresses how he softens his stand for Rue.

The romance is..intense. Kit is charming, and he uses all of it on Rue. This is sweet seduction at its best - and its all sincere, which is the bestest part.The kissing scenes are lovely..and the conversations..oh well -

"I've wanted you from the moment I first saw you in the museum. Before that. I wanted every part of you from the first time I felt you, your presence. I want you in the sky, and against the earth. I want to kiss you again, I want to touch you, I want to feel you in my arms and I want to hear you gasping my name when I'm inside you. I want all that, and I want it badly. Every time I look at you, I want it. So you're going to have to become used to that, Rue. It won't change."

Now tell me you don't want Christoff for yourself.

And now on to the next book, The Dream Thief which has more my favourite street - urchin Zane...
In case I didn't mention it, this one goes up there on my Favourite shelf - way up there with Bitten, Daughter of the Forest, Graceling...oh well - GO READ!!

6 comments:

Teddyree said...

Absolutely wonderful review, The Smoke Thief is going on my wishlist based soley on your review, thanks!!

Marg said...

I have owned this book for so long! I really, really should read it!

K said...

Thanks. You'll enjoy reading the book. Guaranteed

A Buckeye Girl Reads said...

I loved the Smoke Theif! It broke a long string of bad reads for me.

I haven't read the Dream thief yet. Did you know that there are around 7 books in this series?

Alaine - Queen of Happy Endings said...

I have had this book sitting on my book shelf for a very long time. After reading your review I'll have to read it soon!

K said...

I thought there were only 3 books in the series. Thanks for letting me know...more is always good. Atleast in this case

Alaine - you wont regret it


web site traffic stats
Creative Commons License This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License.

  © Blogger templates Newspaper II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP